Job Opportunity: Agricultural Education SpecialistApr 30th, 2012 | By Simone Staiger | Category: Training
CIAT seeks a visionary and dynamic Agricultural Education Specialist to develop learning resources for the Center’s programs and teams, which will contribute significantly to major global initiatives aimed at reducing rural poverty, strengthening food security, improving human health and nutrition, and sustainably managing natural resources throughout the developing world.
CIAT has contributed importantly to increasing the knowledge and strengthening the capacity of its research partners. More than 12,000 professionals from Latin America, Africa, and Asia have benefited from training offered by the Center. About half of these people have taken part in specialized courses or workshops, while about 35% have received individual training. The remainder did thesis research at CIAT for postgraduate degrees.
CIAT’s Capacity Strengthening and Knowledge Management Initiative (Capacity) seeks to build on those gains and enrich the Center’s research partnerships by facilitating and mainstreaming the use of participatory tools and methods in areas such as strategic planning, research, monitoring and evaluation, and documentation, while also drawing on more traditional training approaches, as needed. This mix of techniques enables us to work more effectively with partners toward the goals of disseminating research results widely and promoting their adoption and adaptation.
Role and responsibilities
- Develop different types of learning resources, such as training manuals, guides, resource documents, course curricula.
- Adapt learning resources to different audiences, including researchers and students and other professionals (e.g., extensionists) in agriculture and related fields.
- Handle learning resources in different formats (print, video, audio, and multimedia).
- Work with researchers to design and enhance learning resources.
- Eventually deliver training face-to-face and virtually, on the produced learning resources.
- Organize technical meetings with national/international partners.
- Carry out activities in the context of established partnerships with national and international research organizations.
- Travel in Colombia and other developing countries.
Requirements and competencies
- Master’s degree in agricultural education.
- Basic experience in training and technology transfer.
- General knowledge of the agricultural sciences and an ability to learn quickly about issues related to crops, soils, climate change, and so forth.
- A genuine interest in agricultural research for development, including topics such as farmers’ access to markets, policy development, and technology transfer/participatory research.
- Excellent writing ability and knowledge of multimedia (video, audio, Web), with emphasis on e-learning.
- Excellent command of English and Spanish. Portuguese is a plus.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary and multicultural team across institutions and levels of authority.
- Ability to coordinate project implementation and documentation independently.
- Experience with living in the tropics desirable.
Terms of employment
The position will be based at CIAT headquarters near Cali, Colombia, reporting to the leader of the Capacity and Knowledge Management Initiative. The contract will be for an initial two-year period, subject to a six (6) months’ probation period, renewable based upon performance and availability of funding. CIAT offers internationally competitive salary and benefits packages. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality. We believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. Women and developing country professionals are encouraged to apply.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter describing their suitability for this position in relation to the listed qualifications, competencies, and skills together with a detailed curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All correspondence should be addressed to to Catalina Montoya (firstname.lastname@example.org) in CIAT’s Human Resources Office.
Closing date for applications: May 31, 2012.